To protect the health and safety of our visitors and staff we ask that you:
- Practice social distancing: Maintain a distance of at least two metres to other people in the library.
- Wear a mask.
- Keep your visit brief.
- Do not eat while in the library.
- Do not move the furniture.
- Avoid using elevators if possible (max 2 people allowed in elevators at any time).
- Disinfect your hands before and after touching screens, keypads, and other surfaces.
- Use a card when making payments.
- Avoid bringing large pieces of luggage into the library.
Other infection control measures:
- All our events are online only, including language cafés and Norwegian classes.
- Printing, copying, and scanning services are temporarily unavailable.
- Deichman Bjørvika’s makerspace is temporarily closed.
- Extended opening hours (“meråpent”) are not available.
- Booking class rooms and meeting rooms is not possible.
- You may still book study cells in Deichman Bjørvika for a maximum of 4 hours. Single person use only.
Deichman consists of 22 local libraries located all over Oslo. Deichman was founded in 1785 and is Norway’s oldest and largest public library. Oslo's new main library, Deichman Bjørvika, is located between Oslo Central Station and the Opera house.
Whoever you are, a Deichman library is a place for you. In our libraries you are welcome to spend time reading, working, relaxing, meeting friends, or enjoying some peace and quiet.
Feel free to borrow whatever you like from our collection of more than a million books, movies, games, CDs and other media. All you need is a library card.How to register for a library card
Library cards are available for everyone who resides in Norway. You need to have a Norwegian social security number, D number, or DUF number to obtain a library card.
Do you need us to help you register? Stop by your local library, and we will assist you.
Several of Deichman’s libraries offer extended opening hours.
If you have upgraded your library card to an admission card, you have access to these libraries from 7 AM until 11 PM every day, including weekends and public holidays.
We are continuously working to expand this service to include more libraries.How to upgrade your library card
Log in to your personal account here.
Select the tab marked "Profil".
Scroll down to the button marked "Aktiver meråpent". Click the button.
A pop-up window opens. Confirm that you have read and understood Deichman’s lending regulations by checking the box marked "Jeg har lest og godtatt utlånsreglement".
Click the button marked "Aktiver meråpent".
You are now all set to use your library card as an admission card during extended opening hours.
Deichman libraries offer free use of several tools and facilities. These include:
Use of the tools is free, but you will be charged a small fee for materials such as printing paper and plastic for 3D printing. Contact your local library for more information.