Our top priority is the health and security of our staff and borrowers. In consultation with local health authorities we have implemented several infection control measures to make you feel safe when you visit our libraries. Please read these before you visit us!
Thank you for helping us taking care of each other.
- Stay home if you are sick or in quarantine. Children who are ill must also stay at home.
- Keep a one meter distance to others (both patrons and employees).
- Two meters distance between reading places.
- Eating is not allowed in the libraries.
- Maximum stay is 3 hours, this also applies to study areas.
- Only a limited number of people may stay in the libraries at any given time.
- The reading room in the main library in Bjørvika is temporarily closed.
- It is not allowed to move furniture around in the libraries.
- Disinfect your hands before touching screens, other equipment or entering your PIN-code.
- Disinfect study desks and meeting tables before and after use. Disinfectants are available for you in all our libraries.
- You must register in advance for all events. We need contact information for everyone who participates in events in case there is a need for infection tracking. We delete personal information after 10 days.
- Printing, copying, scanning and extended opening hours (“meråpent”) are temporarily unavailable.
- All toys have been removed from play areas.
- Activities with few participants (eg. reading circles, language cafés, computer courses) are carried out with maximum 20 participants and at a good distance.
- Class and kindergarten visits take place by appointment. Contact your local library.
- Plexiglas has been set up at the info points for extra protection.
- Please use a card when paying.
- Bringing large luggage into the library is not allowed.
Deichman consists of 22 branch libraries located all over Oslo. Deichman was founded in 1785 and is Norway’s oldest and largest public library. We look forward to welcoming you to the new main library Deichman Bjørvika in 2020. Deichman Bjørvika is located in between Oslo Central Station and the Opera house.
Whoever you are, a Deichman library is a place for you. In our libraries you are welcome to spend time reading, working, relaxing, meeting friends, or enjoying some peace and quiet.
Feel free to borrow whatever you like from our collection of more than a million books, movies, games, CDs and other media. All you need is a library card.How to register for a library card
Library cards are available for everyone who resides in Norway. You need to have a Norwegian social security number, D number, or DUF number to obtain a library card.
Do you need us to help you register? Stop by your local Deichman, and we will assist you.
Several of Deichman’s libraries offer extended opening hours.
If you have upgraded your library card to an admission card, you have access to these libraries from 7 AM until 11 PM every day, including weekends and public holidays.
We are continuously working to expand this service to include more libraries.How to upgrade your library card
Log in to your personal page here on deichman.no
Select the tab marked "Profil".
Scroll down to the button marked "Aktiver meråpent". Click the button.
A pop-up window opens. Confirm that you have read and understood Deichman’s lending regulations by checking the box marked "Jeg har lest og godtatt utlånsreglement".
Click the button marked "Aktiver meråpent".
You are now all set to use your library card as an admission card during extended opening hours.
Deichman libraries offer free use of several tools and facilities. These include:
Use of the tools is free, but you will be charged a small fee for materials such as printing paper and plastic for 3D printing. Contact your local library for more information.